Thursday, September 17, 2009

The power of water


Today I had a major case of the sad and lonelies.  It stemmed partly from trying to get started again, settling back into the flow, and partly from simply being unsure of what we were doing, what our goal was, and why.  All those big, vague questions that sneak up and tag you when you're not totally balanced and sure of yourself.  


Lately, it seems we've been doing a lot of sitting around and waiting to do things we don't really want to do (like interviewing hunters) or things we just aren't getting to do (like filming much wildlife).  At the moment I can't even begin to think of what our story is, and the more I think about it the less I want to make a film at all.  


I went for a walk to clear my head.  My goal was simply to find drinkable water.  We are camped beside Chamberlain Creek, but it is too big to make us comfortable drinking straight out of, and being that our water filter is laying somewhere in the back of our truck over 30 miles away, finding drinkable water has become fairly important.  I set out on what ended up being a fairly lengthy hike: this country always ends up bigger than it looks.  Hours later, I had all but given up the search, and was on my way back to camp, when I stumbled across none other than a perfect spring.  It burbled out of the ground only 50 yards above the valley flats, in a lush little glade, looking to me like the fountain of youth.  I drank from it, of course, and returned to camp to retrieve our water jugs.  It may not have brought me the gift of youth, but it sure lifted my mood!

Later in the evening, as I again fell into a dark mood, I sat and meditated by a tiny waterfall in Chamberlain Creek, and again felt better.  The healing power of water at work...  


No comments:

Post a Comment