Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Snow!


It's been snowing for two days and nights straight.  It went from an incredibly long and lovely Indian summer, straight into what feels like mid-winter.  This glass box of the lookout is encased in ice and snow.  Metal I-beams shrouded with hoar-frost is about the coldest sight I've ever seen.  Most of the snow is blowing horizontally across the mountaintop, but 4-5 inches of it have managed to grab hold and coat the rocks.  We haven't been able to see beyond the scraggy trees at the base of our rocky perch for days...


Isaac is out walking to Hand Cabins, searching for tracks to see what, if anything, has been lurking about in this inclement weather.  It's probably a smart thing to do, he'll certainly feel better for having gotten out, snowing or not.  I, however, am having terrible difficulty ripping myself away from the wood stove and this tiny glass box on top of the mountain.  I'm not a cold person.  I like heat.  A mountaintop in the middle of falls first blizzard is about the coldest place I can think of.


And we plan to stay here until the middle of November??   


No comments:

Post a Comment